A Faraday bag is basically a magnetic field that blocks electromagnetic signals from interfering with electronic devices. Very cyberpunk accessory, provides a lot of digital security, and supposedly health benefits by preventing brainwave disruption blah blah. We’ve ben discussing this in Discord and seems like people are hype so I’ve done as much research as I can. I don’t know where to go from here so I’m posting all my research to see if core team has everything they need to move forward and then put it to community vote.
The two main options I’ve heard are: 1. Design and produce our own Faraday bag specifically for our fanny pack or 2. source a faraday bag from the market and attach it to our fanny pack. Option #1 is the “cheapest” but takes the most internal resource with unreliable results since Faraday bags have strict requirements. Option two is way more expensive, yet still profitable, and gives us more flexibility. After also consulting my fashion designer friend I think #2 because it also optimizes for MF core team’s time while.
We have to make sure that the sourced Faraday bag has the proper dimensions to fit in the fanny pocket (idk what that is) and probably add an instructional picture on the product page to show how you add the Faraday bag accessory to the fanny pack.
My unresearched opinion is that adding the Faraday cage as an option to the fanny we could add about ~$50 premium but this is +100% the current fanny price so we’ll have to discuss that.
DiskLabs seems to be the highest quality, and highest priced, option on the market. We can do bulk orders, get custom branding on bags, and they have various options if we want to expand the faraday product line. I’m still waiting on pricing sheets for bulk branded/unbranded bags from their North America distributors. Their sites list ~$20-40 per unit, I haven’t gotten confirmation if this is bulk pricing or not so we’ll just have to wait.
Latent Forensics - Prices as listed on site. 5% discount at 100 units, another 5% at 200+ units. $2 per bag to add branded label, minimum 1,000 labels paid upfront.
HL Dalis - Recommended by DiskLabs for LA distribution. Should be getting pricing on 05.10
China - various Amazon and Walmart products, obviously these are lower quality and no potential to add branding but way cheaper ($7-31 + shipping). All the ones on Alibaba looked sketch af but if none of the vendors I’ve listed look good I can look through there again. I know at least Amazon and maybe Walmart show different prices if you are signed into a business account so we might be able to get them cheaper than I’ve listed here.
- Walmart - Size 19.5 x 11cm, $7. This one is super simple design and really cheap, assuming it actually works as a Faraday bag and fits the fanny, I think this is a great option.
- Amazon - Size 8.5x 4.5in, $14. Seems rather large and has a non-Faraday pocket which people will definitely misuse but at ~$14 I think we can still make decent profit off it.
- Amazon - Size 19.7cm x 10.7cm, $12. Another basic design, might actually be the same as the Walmart bag.
- Amazon - Size 18.5cm x 10.5cm, $32. Obviously expensive but we if we create an Amazon business account we can see if there’s discounts. It actually matches MF branding I think although it is a bit discolored.
If the MF core team needs any other info to move forward with this before we put it to a vote, let me know and I’ll get it
Edit from community call on 01.10.2020:
- None of the bags listed fit the small 16cm pocket in the fanny pack. Going to order them anyway and sell separately or just put in normal fanny pack pocket.
- Ask manufacturers what are branding options?